Sunday, April 5, 2009

Getting the word out...slowly

At this point, the site is live, ready to be used, and it's about time to get the word out. Since the last post, a few things have taken place:
  1. Went ahead and switched the primary domain to "simplecountrycodes.com". I decided to do this for two reasons: focus on the branding of the site, and changing my perspective on what people look for when they need the information I'm providing. I originally thought people would be searching for "how to call internationally" or "how to dial international", when in reality people look for "country codes" or "international calling". In the end, I don't think the domain name will matter much since my use cases is based on people finding me through Google.
  2. I set up a Google Webmaster Central account. This will allow me to get insight into how Google sees my site. I highly recommend that everyone do this.
  3. Submitted the site to dmoz.org.
  4. Submitted the site to a number of search engines. For fun, I decided to try out submitexpress.com:

For the next few weeks, the plan is to continue organically getting the site into search engines, and begin building inbound links. I'm going to wait at least another month before trying to get the attention of any serious people online. I would like to get some more feedback, and make sure the data is 100% accurate, before exposing it to a potentially large audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment